Remote Production technologies and workflows continue to evolve on a daily basis. Whether it’s taking advantage of IP standards, virtualized and cloud-based tools, or next-generation camera, lenses, and other tools, there are more opportunities than ever to be more efficient and cost-effective in live sports production. Join us for a full slate of informative panel discussions, case studies, presentations, and more featuring the industry’s top production experts.
At-Home Production (REMI) using Cellular & the Public Internet
Broadcasters, sports leagues, and producers are always looking for better, more efficient ways to contribute and distribute video. It’s especially true for sports broadcasters and live TV producers, who regularly deal with backhauling live, high-action, multicamera, multisource video, and audio. The challenge is maintaining perfect video genlock and lip sync across multiple cameras for wireless At-home, remote integration or REMI live video production. The RACK400 4K UHD & HD HEVC live encoder, PRO Series and AIR Series of bonded cellular and IP transmitter with SafeStreams® technology do just that. A far less costly alternative to traditional telecom, satellite, fiber, and microwave connections, the RACK400 sends video through the public internet or unmanaged networks, which are practically free. Bonded cellular capability can be added to the RACK400 using the optional QUAD CellLink active antenna. For greater mobility, the PRO and AIR Series of bonded cellular and IP transmitters provide a camera-mount, backpack, or belt-pack alternative to satellite that is ideal for multicamera, remote integration (REMI), and at-home productions.
Create live content without camera operators
The TrolleyLive Pro all-In-one Broadcast PTZ camera, streaming encoder, and return video monitor system facilitates talent broadcasting live from home or remote locations. The IQ Sports Producer facilitates the creation of a live professional sports production eliminating the need for onsite personnel such as a technical director, a director, producers, camera operators, and more. The IQ vPilot AI-Driven Automated Studio is an automated studio system utilizing the power of Artificial Intelligence (AI). It is a studio set-up that does not require camera people or an onsite director but is designed to create visually compelling content. Ideal for lower-cost studio productions.
Eliminate the need for Multiple Production Trucks with At-Home Production Technology.
Thanks for your support throughout this project (Ryder Cup Golf Tournament). Not only was the gear great, but the VidOvation support was also excellent. Looking forward to doing more in the future.
Download this guide to find out how you can implement your own at-home remote production workflow by:
- Leveragings cellular networks and the public internet as a reliable, low-cost video transmission link
- Consolidating and centralizing technical resources to achieve greater efficiency and boost production capacity
- Making sure you capture each and every audio and video source
- Maintaining frame-accurate genlock and lip sync so that your viewers can enjoy a high-quality program
- And more!
Flexible Live Remote At-Home Production for the New Abnormal [Webinar Replay]
- Learn how broadcasters and producers are finding more efficient ways to contribute and distribute live television
- Learn to overcome the additional challenges in the new abnormal with travel restrictions and social distancing.
- Learn how to maintain frame-accurate video genlock and lip-sync across multiple handheld cameras
- Over Unmanaged Networks
- The Public Internet
- Over Managed Networks
- Over Unmanaged Networks
- Learn how to mount the transmitting audio and video encoder on the camera or talent
- Learn the importance of analog audio inputs on your field encoder
- Labor costs are reduced since the television production specialists work at a centralized master control near where they live, eliminating the need for travel, and overtime expenses
- Learn how the latest at-home production technology eliminates the need for expensive satellite, fiber and telecom connections
- Learn how it also eliminates the need for on-site production trucks with dozens of on-site operators and personnel.
- Learn how to have most of your crew work from home or a centralized master control near home.
- Learn how this technology has been successfully implemented by the PGA, Turner sports, Viacom, CNN, Fox, the Discovery Network, Major League Fishing, and more
- PGA TaylorMade Driving Relief At-home Production using AVIWEST
- More efficient ways to contribute and distribute live television and video
- VidOvation has been promoting At-home production for several years. Today it is more of a necessity during these uncertain times with social distancing.
- Address the challenge of maintaining frame-accurate video genlock and lip sync across multiple cameras for wireless at-home live production or REMI.
- How labor costs are reduced since the television production specialists work at a centralized master control near where they live, eliminating the need for travel and overtime expenses.
- SafeStreams Transport (SST) for video transport over unmanaged networks such as cellular and the public Internet
- New codec – SMPTE VC-6 ST 2117 P.Pro – a More Efficient Alternative to Uncompressed, JPEG XS and JPEG 2000 from V-Nova
- New low latency wireless technology for remote productions
Chris Brown of Turner Sports took attendees of the 2018 SVG Summit behind the scenes of Turner’s productions at the Ryder Cup which sent back more than a dozen IP streams over the Public Internet using the HE4000 HEVC Encoders with SafeStreams Transport and The Match, which deployed an array of next-gen tech and player microphoning strategies.
- Eliminate satellite, fiber, microwave, and telecom costs
- Eliminate the need for a local production truck
- Synchronous backhaul of multiple live feeds with perfect genlock and lip sync
- No dropped packets
- Greater speed and agility
- Low latency
SafeStreams: A Transport Protocol Like No Other
Inherent in the PRO, AIR, and HE4000 encoder is the patented SafeStreams transport protocol, which provides reliable, broadcast-quality video transmission over 3G/4G cellular, LAN, Wi-Fi, satellite, and the public internet with advanced forward error correction, dynamic automatic re-requests (ARQ), and up to 100 percent redundancy.
SafeStreams Transport Protocol
Using SafeStreams — which incorporates IP bonding techniques, precision timing over bonded cellular and the public internet, and adaptive-bit-rate encoding — provides a robust transmission. That’s because of multiple layers of redundancy
- SafeStreams automatically recovers dropped packets through dynamic 2D forward error
- Additional lost packets are recovered using advanced
- Finally, the protocol itself also has a built-in level of redundancy, which can be set as high as 100% so that each packet is transmitted twice.
Greater Speed and Agility
SafeStreams lets users record, store, and forward 4K UHD and HD contents at low bit rates. It gives the HE4000 the ability to transport 4K UHD and HD content over the public internet at data rates as high as 100 Mbps. Furthermore, it bonds up to 11 IP connections (up to eight cellular, two LAN, and one Wi-Fi) to create the biggest possible transport pipe. LAN connections can be a telecom circuit, public internet, satellite, and more. When using the HE4000 over cellular networks, the use of one or two QUAD CellLink is required to provide up to eight modems with high gain antennas.
This solution is special because of its patented high-gain, long-range antenna, which eliminates cross-coupling and interference compared to consumer USB modems. The PRO Series high-gain antenna means signals are more likely to get picked up by a cellular tower.
NAB New York 2022 Tech Chat Theater — New Technologies Create Opportunities for Content Monetization
For broadcasters, sports organizations, and other rights holders, the hunt to find new sources of audience-building content – and the associated revenue streams they can provide – is an ongoing challenge. Recent technology advances in the areas of AI-driven systems, private 5G networks, and innovative remote production techniques have the potential to revolutionize the way content is captured, distributed and monetized. Vislink’s acquisition of Mobile Viewpoint has brought it an expanded stable of such innovations. Together with technology partner VidOvation, Vislink discusses how these solutions can deliver all-IP streamlined workflows, increased engagement, and higher returns on live event coverage than previously possible.
Sports, World Athletics Championships Oregon 2022? Bonded Cellular Multi-camera Live Remote Production
Rent a Bonded Cellular System for Your Next Live Event. When you rent a bonded cellular system for your next live event (World Athletics Championships, anyone?) you’ll be able to broadcast live from anywhere in the world to your master control or the web.
Achieving the Impossible on “Live PD”
A&E’s highly popular “Live PD” captures and streams live video of police officers on patrol in six jurisdictions around the U.S. It’s a REMI production that runs as many as 36 live cameras feeds back to a New York control room. The major challenge was how to produce this live cop show cost-effectively and home-run all those cameras from multiple police vehicles simultaneously — sometimes during a high-speed chase going 130 miles per hour. With so many feeds, traditional satellite or microwave links are not a viable option. The bonded cellular gear with SafeStreams achieved what no other system could: simultaneous transmission of 36 live video streams up to 3,000 miles away, with perfect multicamera genlock synchronization and lip sync. It’s a major feat of broadcast engineering. The “Live PD” crew uses 36 PRO180-RA bonded cellular transmitters — one for each of two HD cameras in every patrol car and the two camera operators in the back seat. Four QUAD high gain, external antenna units are installed on each patrol car so the transmitters in the trunk can receive a strong and resilient signal. The transmitters feed up to four video channels and eight audio channels of live, high-quality video back to the control room in New York from every patrol car in all six cities.
Live PD Camera Operator Using the PRO180-RA
In the control room, the StreamHub transceiver, decoder, and distribution platform receives the live video feeds and dumps them into an instant replay system, which delivers the video to air for the live broadcast. A genlock input on the transceivers is instrumental in providing multicamera genlock capability to maintain synchronous cameras and perfect lip-sync. If the PRO series of bonded cellular transmitters with SafeStreams can work for an unprecedented, challenge-ridden REMI production like “Live PD,” imagine what it can do for multicamera news, live sports, and events.
Live PD Camera Operator Riding Shotgun
With the first season of ‘Live PD,’ the VidOvation gear enabled us to prove the concept of bonded cellular technology for capturing large quantities of high-quality live HD video from multiple cameras and then streaming it to air in real-time. The PROs allowed us to accomplish our creative goals for the show in a highly cost-effective manner, and we could not have been happier with the gear’s performance. Therefore, it made complete sense to make a long-term investment in AVIWEST technology to keep pace with the ever-expanding scope of the show. Other competing systems we tested were unable to meet the show’s technical demands.