VC-6 P.Pro SMPTE ST 2117
PPro (previously PERSEUS Pro) is a high-performance AI-powered software library for encoding and decoding SMPTE VC-6 (ST 2117) which is used in professional contribution, remote production, and visual recognition indexing workflows in addition to mass-market next-generation video experiences such as VR/AR, and ad-tech applications. SMPTE VC-6 also includes IP contributed by V-Nova.
PPro utilizes a unique hierarchical approach to layer detail and higher resolutions on to the underlying Intra-only frames. This combined with the very latest techniques in machine learning and optimized rate-control, delivers an industry-redefining level of video quality per bandwidth.
Comparison of VC-6 ST 2117 vs Uncompressed, JPEG XS and JPEG 2000
|VC-6 ST 2117 P,Pro||Uncompressed||JPEG XS||JPEG 2000|
|Compression||90 - 1||1 - 1||4 - 1||10 - 1|
|2160p60 Video in 1GB pipe||7||0||0||0|
|2160p60 Video in 10GB pipe||76||0||2||8|
|1080i60 video in 1GB pipe||16||0||2||6|
|1080i60 video in 10GB pipe||166||6||25||66|
- Reduce Bandwidth – With huge efficiency gains over JPEG-2000, MPEG-4 and HEVC temporal solutions, data link costs can be reduced significantly (by up to 80% for UHD)
- Increase Quality or Channel Count – Conversely, the unparalleled efficiency can be leveraged to drive higher quality or further channels through the same links
- 2X Encoding Density! – Cutting-edge, parallel and lightweight implementation substantially increases processing throughput
- Support for UHD and HDR – A future-proof codec supporting all resolutions
- Compatibility – Delivered in standard container formats (MPEG-TS, MXF) ensures full compatibility with existing systems and workflows
PPro is the underlying codec technology powering P.Link.
P.Pro VC-6 ST 2117 vs JPEG XS
- Bandwidth reduction with compression ratios of 90:1 v 4:1 for JPEG XS.
- Low latency Intra video P.Pro codec encodes each frame resulting in less artifacts.
- Latency of 80ms for encode to decode.
- Dyn Mux mode: An algorithm deciding which video channel should get more bandwidth on each frame resulting in a 20% saving of bandwidth on all channels.
- Full Frame mode: For 1080i making the picture progressive and encoding the video and re-interlacing it at the decoder resulting in a 20% saving on bandwidth.
- Being able to be an encoder and decoder in the same unit, you do not need extra cards for changing between an encoder & decoder.
- For UHD we encode the whole picture instead of splitting it into quads and encoding. This means we don’t have any issues with timing.