At VidOvation, we are asked every day, “What is the one thing that makes AVIWEST better than the competition?” There is no simple answer to this question. Please read the top 20 reasons to choose AVIWEST technology over the competition below. Collectively all of these reasons give production crews and photographers the ability to get more shots.
Thanks for your support throughout this project (Ryder Cup Golf Tournament). Not only was the gear great, but the VidOvation support was also excellent. Looking forward to doing more in the future.
- Advanced HEVC Encoding – Customers say “It is the best video quality they have seen in an HEVC encoder”. The system supports 4:2:2 10 bits hardware HEVC.
- Patented High-gain Internal Antennas – Enables a stronger and more reliable signal with the cellular tower. The system’s superior design avoids interference from the coupling effect found in competing system when multiple antennas are nearby.
- High-Quality Cellular Modems – Any wireless system is only as good as the quality of its RF radios. Using the industry’s best cellular modems makes a difference. The competition uses $50 modems. AVIWEST uses $300 high-quality modems. The AVIWEST cellular modems connect faster and more reliably with support for more frequency bands including the extended bands deployed by Verizon and other carriers. The competition does not support these extended frequency bands.
- Dual High-Quality Encoders – A second encoder dedicated to recording provides a better quality recording on the camera side. The competition has a single encoder for both recording and transmission. When the system is in a fringe area and the transmission is at a low bit rate, both the transmission and the recording will be of low quality. By having a second encoder, the AVIWEST system will always have a high quality and high bitrate recording under all transmission conditions.
- Robust Bonded Cellular & IP Transport – AVIWEST developed an Emmy Award-winning highly robust transport protocol called SafeStreams. It is ideal for the transmission of video audio and data over unmanaged networks such as cellular and the public Internet.
- Dynamic 2D Forward Error Correction (FEC) – Adds redundancy to the transport stream when needed. Automatically turns off when not needed to preserve more bandwidth for higher video quality.
- Packet Re-requests (ARQ) – When FEC is not available or unable to recover lost packets, the decoder engages ARQ to request the re-transmission of lost packets automatically.
- Variable Video Bit Rate – The system automatically adapts to changing network conditions. When the receiving decoder senses a decrease in available bandwidth, it sends instructions to the transmission encoder to lower the bit rate. Based on the available throughput and bandwidth the system continually adjusts the video bit rate. This technique prevents interruptions in video transmission while maximizing the available throughput to achieve the highest video quality.
- Multi-viewer Output – The StreamHub application features a grid of video thumbnails that allow you to play out up to 16 incoming streams (4 x 4 with a custom layout) on a single monitor. You can also define audio sources and output standards and add information overlay for each source.
- Return Video – The AVIWEST PRO and AIR series of bonded cellular and IP field encoders all support full bandwidth return video. Other systems offer return video that is at a very low bit rate and at a reduced frame rate. The AVIWEST solution offers full resolution video at full frame rate so you may have a high quality program feed delivered to the field from the studio. The only requirement is the AVIWEST RACK300 rack mountable encoder on the studio side to encode and transmit the return video to one or multiple PRO or AIR series encoders and field.
- Live Transcoding – The StreamHUb receiver support transcode for the distribution of live video to 3rd party CDN’s and video platform that requires H.264-only or CBR constant bitrate or fixed resolutions.
- IP Outputs Built-in – The StreamHub offers up to 32 IP outputs with multiple streaming protocols such as AVIWEST’s SafeStreams, RTMP, RTSP/RTP, HLS, TS/IP, SRT which allow video contents to be freely distributed over virtually any IP network. Up to 32 IP outputs are supported to re-stream the video contents over LAN or WAN to CDNs, Media Servers, Streaming Platforms, Social Networks, IRDs or other StreamHubs.
- Transport over the Public Internet – Many customers can save the cost of expensive Satellite, Telecom and fiber optic transport and use the low-cost Public Internet for reliable video transport by using AVIWEST technology. As an alternative to expensive satellite, telecom, and fiber, many VidOvation customers are using AVIWEST technology to save on satellite, fiber and telecom costs. The AviWest safe streams unique transport protocol cuts contribution and distribution costs in multicamera, Live-Action Productions making the impossible possible.
At-home Remote Production or REMI – Turner Sports transported 20 live video feeds between Paris and Atlanta over the Public Internet while maintaining perfect Gen-lock and Lip-sync across all 20 cameras. Turner Sports was able to minimize personnel and equipment at the remote production site producing the entire show thousands of miles away in Atlanta.
External Antennas – Passive & Active – When operating AVIWEST PRO Series field encoders with bonded cellular connectivity there are certain situations where an external cellular antenna is needed. When transmitting from inside a vehicle, the metal body can block or attenuate the RF cellular signal. The PRO series supports up to 2 QUAD external passive antennas. AVIWEST has introduced the QUAD CellLink active antenna with four high quality internal cellular modems. The QUAD CellLink can be used to add cellular connectivity to products such as the HE4000 HEVC HD and 4K Encoder.
Advanced Store & Forward – The AVIWEST product line simultaneously supports Progressive Store and Forward. A high-resolution video file can be recorded locally in the PRO or AIR Field Encoder and Transmitter. The file can be immediately and continuously forwarded to the receiver in master control or can be forwarded at a later time. This feature is ideal if you’re in a location without any cellular connectivity. The advanced recording and storing capabilities of the AVIWEST PRO and AIR field encoder’s gives the ability to broadcast live in a fringe area at a lower bit rate while simultaneously recording at a high bit rate using the second encoder. In this situation, a low-resolution proxy can be broadcast live followed by a higher resolution recording that is automatically pushed to master control to air later in the broadcast as an alternative to the lower bit rate live video.
- Advance File-Based Workflow – Support for a file transfer and management with the WiFi hotspot, local FTP server and automatic file forward from our transmitters to the StreamHub receiver in master control. Please read the blog post “Accelerated Video & Photo File Transfer – AFP Delivers Real-Time Coverage of 2018 Tour de France” To learn more about AVIWEST’S advanced file-based workflow.
- Cloud-Based Management – The Manager is a powerful application that enables broadcasters and video professionals to monitor and manage an entire AVIWEST live video contribution system including fields units (PRO Series, AIR Series, HE Series, RACK1 Series, and MOJOPRO Series), StreamHub transceivers, as well as third-party equipment. The Manager transforms remote live video production and newsgathering by enabling an operator to manage and control a large number of devices through the intuitive web-based user interface of a single tool. It can be deployed on-premise or operated as a cloud-based solution and brings simplicity, flexibility, and efficiency to any news or live video production organization.
- Advanced Receiver Functions – The AVIWEST StreamHub receiver and distribution platform is a single 1RU appliance that decodes, transcode and encodes both HD and 4K video.
- Highest Input & Output Density – The StreamHub supports up to 16 inputs for field encoders and transmitters with up to 32 IP outputs and 4 SDI outputs. The competition does not come close to the density of the StreamHub receiver, decoder, and encoder. This translates into savings and rack space, electricity and HVAC. The AviWest StreamHub is a versatile receiver, decoder, playout, and distribution platform or cloud-based service, supporting a large panel of functions and protocols for the easiest integration in existing workflows.
- SDI & HDMI inputs – It is common for photographers to use a wide variety of cameras throughout the workday. Photographers and engineers asked for an autosensing SDI and HDMI input. Whichever input is active, the AVIWEST field encoder and the transmitter will automatically select it. This prevents mistakes where a camera operator will select the wrong video input.
- Gen-lock and Lip-sync – The AVIWEST family of field encoders and transmitters all maintain perfect video and audio Gen-lock and Lip–sync across Cellular Networks and the Public Internet. This is ideal for multi-camera remote field production. A perfect example of this technology in action is the work VidOvation and AVIWEST are done with the team at Big Fish Entertainment and A&E for cable TVs number one show “Live PD”.
- Integrated Intercom and IFB – The StreamHub includes an IFB application that enables you to communicate with remote transmitter operators over up to 16 independent two-way audio channels. Both SIP-based and legacy IFB intercom are supported.
- Dual Intercom and IFB (Coming Soon) – The AVIWEST PRO380 supports a single channel intercom as mentioned above with support for a second Bluetooth wireless intercom or IFB channel. Now the camera operator will communicate on the first hardwired intercom channel with the talent or reporter on the second wireless Bluetooth intercom channel. This approach improves communication so the talent is not distracted by camera instructions over the intercom.
- MOJOPRO App for iOS & macOS – Complete range of mobile applications running on Android, iOS, and macOS. The Swiss Army knife for Mobile Journalists to broadcast HD Live from the field or record, edit, add a logo, add voiceover, and forward fully produced video clips ready for air.
- Story-Centric Workflow – Support for a story-centric workflow with EVS, Dalet, Newsbridge, and more.
- 4:2:2 10 Bit Encoding – The HE4000 HEVC HD and 4K encoder provide what customers are saying is “the industries best HEVC encoder on the market for video quality especially at low bit rates”. Superior video quality is due in part to 4:2:2 10 bit encoding.
- Optional Manager – AVIWEST has an optional cloud or physical Manager. The In-house server or cloud-based Manager provides a central management system that allows you to manage and control an entire fleet of AVIWEST mobile devices and reception platforms. The Manager provides information about the real-time performance of all the devices in the ecosystem, the resources availability and the potential warnings. Many of the competing Bonded Cellular platforms require the mandatory use of a centralized management system. For small deployments, a central management system may not be needed. Many customers and government agencies prefer a secure and isolated ecosystem where they have full control of the entire transmission chain. These customers do not want their transmission routed through a vendor-controlled and operated cloud management system.
Bonded Cellular Hotspot & Remote Internet Access – Customers are always asking for better connectivity when in the field. The AVIWEST family of field encoders and transmitters are optimized for the transport of video and audio. Now AVIWEST has a solution for the growing demand for a bonded cellular hotspot or Internet connection when working in the field. Customers can now have a reliable Internet connection when working in the field for other production activities such as email, VPN, browsing the web and more. The VidOvation video transmission technology from AVIWEST can provide a wireless and wired hotspot and access point to the public Internet via bonded cellular, and satellite. AVIWEST SafeStreams technology (SST) also provides a secure virtual private network (VPN) by extending the network at your master control or command center to the field. Now you can have all your cameras and other IP assets in the field securely connected to the same subnet as your master control or control center.
“The sad truth is that many important shots, news stories, sporting events and more are lost every day due to the deployment of inferior technology.
The simple answer is you will get more shots using AVIWEST technology!”