AVC-ULTRA*1 Support for Everything from
Mastering-Level Image Quality to Low-Bit-Rate Transmission,
Together with Network Solutions and New Compact microP2 Cards.
A Half-Rack Size Recorder for a High-Quality, Cost-Effective Workflow.
This P2HD recorder supports today’s network-based workflow while interfacing with conventional broadcast systems. In addition to conventional P2 card slots, the AJ-PD500 offers microP2 card slots, which dramatically reduce media costs.
AVC-ULTRA*1 codecs let you choose the quality and bit rate that suit your application from AVC-Intra200, which produces images that approach the level of uncompressed master quality; the popular AVC-Intra100/50; AVC-LongG50/25, with low-bit-rate operation and Full-HD 1920 × 1080, 4:2:2, 10 bit image quality; and AVC-LongG12, with 8 bit, 4:2:0 images and extended recording time. Lower-rate AVC-Proxy recording enables previewing, metadata input, and playlist editing over a network. In addition to handling DVCPRO HD / DVCPRO50 / DVCPRO / DV codec recording, and AVCHD playback.*2
The 3U half-rack size unit houses a wide range of interfaces, including Gbit Ethernet LAN, USB 3.0 (HOST), parallel remote, and RS-422A, while easy use is assured by JOG/SHTL/MENU dial operation. AC/DC power operation enables versatility – from outdoor use to mounting in an OB van or studio installation – for a wide range of broadcast applications.
- *1: AVC-ULTRA is the name of Panasonic’s professional video codec family. The AJ-PD500 does not support all of the formats included in the AVC-ULTRA family.
- *2: Requires the optional AJ-YCX500G AVCHD Codec Board.
- The use of DCF Technologies is under license from Multi-Format, Inc.
AVC-ULTRA Includes High-Quality AVC-Intra200 Codec
From mastering to streaming, the image quality and bit rate can be selected to match the application. Panasonic’s professional A/V codec family, AVC-ULTRA, is provided as standard equipment for the first time ever, to meet the particular needs of broadcasting and image production.
An intra-frame compression method that is highly suited to image production. In addition to the conventional AVC-Intra100/50 codec, the AJ-PD500 features the AVC-Intra200 codec with twice the bit rate (10 bit quantization, 4:2:2 sampling, and a bit rate of approximately 200 Mbps*1). With superb images that approach uncompressed quality and 24 bit audio, it offers a level of quality that meets the needs of mastering and archiving.
An inter-frame compression method that achieves high-quality HD recording at a low bit rate. Ideal for providing on-air content direct from the shooting location and for workflows using content transferred over the internet. Three bit rates are available: AVC-LongG50/25/12 Mbps. AVC-LongG25 provides 10 bit/4:2:2 quality at a bit rate of approximately 25 Mbps.
Low-bit-rate, high-resolution, high-sound-quality proxy video (Quick Time/H.264) is also recorded with the actual data.*2 Also includes metadata for efficient offline editing. See the table “AVC-Proxy Recording Modes and Recording Signals ” in the Recording & Playback Cordecs .
- *1: For 1080/59.94i.
- *2: Proxy data cannot be recorded when using AVC-Intra200, Loop Rec, Simul Rec, 480/59.94i and 576/50i. Proxy data refers to file-based data of low-bit-rate motion images and audio together with management data, such as a time code and metadata.
The use of DCF Technologies is under license from Multi-Format, Inc.
Standard-Equipped microP2 Card Slots
The AJ-PD500 is equipped with two slots for the microP2 card, the new broadcast-use memory card downsized to match the size of a conventional SD memory card.
- microP2 card: While inheriting the high reliability of the P2 card and maintaining the large capacity of 64 GB,*1 the microP2 card was greatly downsized to match the size of an SD memory card, thus resulting in a considerable reduction in cost.
- Content Protection System (CPS): A new security function featured on the microP2 card. The content recorded on the card is locked with a password to protect against unauthorized access. This prevents data from being stolen and enables secure media control.
- P2 Card Slots: Two conventional P2 card slots can be used.*2
- Highly Mobile and Reliable: The microP2 and P2 cards are highly resistant to temperature changes, dust, impacts, and vibration, and there are no worries about condensation, head clogging, or drop out as there are with VTR systems. Data is recorded onto empty card spaces, so there is no need to search for the beginning and ending of recorded portions. There is also no danger of mistakenly recording over existing data.
- *1: Total card capacity includes space for data management, such as system data; therefore, the actual usable area is less than the capacity indicated on the card. See the “Recording Times” table for recording times. [PDF]
- *2: microP2 and P2 cards cannot be simultaneously.