Telos Alliance Microphone xNode Overview
The xNode lightweight, half-rack, high-performance IP-Audio interface from Telos Alliance is loaded with advanced features and capabilities. One-button configuration takes a new xNode from out-of-the-box to on-the-air in under one minute. They’re fanless, which means they’re noiseless too. Versatile mounting options let you deploy two xNodes in just 1RU of rack space, or on ceilings, walls, and under counters with an available wall-mount kit. xNodes have studio-grade audio performance specs. Redundant power options (using AC mains and Power-over-Ethernet) and dual-redundant network interfaces are included, both with automatic switching. And xNodes are fully AES67-compliant, so they work with all AES67 audio gear—now, and in the future. In fact, they are the first and only AoIP I/O devices that are Livewire+™, RAVENNA, and AES67 compliant. Every xNode not only supports RAVENNA audio stream interoperability, but also enables advertising/discovery of those streams natively, above and beyond AES67.
The Microphone xNode has four professional-grade microphone preamps with selectable Phantom power and software-adjustable gain. There are also four balanced analog line outputs to conveniently deliver headphone and studio monitor feeds back to your talent. Inputs and outputs are presented both on easy-to-install RJ-45s and high-density DB-25s, both of which connect to easily available 3rd-party breakout cables, to suit your connection preference.
Telos Alliance Microphone xNode Features
Fanless design with cast-aluminum heat-sinks is completely silent in-studio. Front-panel heat sinks are cooled by ambient air, not “rack air,” eliminating overheating worries.
World’s only fully AES67-compliant AoIP interface; xNodes are “universal translators” that support a huge installed base of Livewire+ hardware as well as audio streams from other AES67-compliant devices. Now features improved AES67 performance through reception optimization.
First and only AoIP I/O device that is Livewire+, RAVENNA, and AES67 compliant. Every xNode not only supports RAVENNA audio stream interoperability, but also enables advertising/discovery of those streams natively, above and beyond AES67.
High-resolution front-panel multi-function OLED display meters inputs and outputs or GPIO status, gives software and other status information.
Power-efficient: xNodes use just 14 Watts each.
Exclusive redundant power plan uses AC and Power over Ethernet (IEEE 802.3af) supplied by compliant Ethernet switches. Multi-color front-panel LED glows green when AC mains power is used, red when PoE is used, and orange when both AC and PoE are connected.
Exclusive redundant network connection: Dual NICs allow you to connect xNode to separate network branches for full audio pathway redundancy. Automatic failover activates backup connection should the primary be interrupted.
Built-in Syslog server with configurable event filter and SNMP (Simple Network Management Protocol) support help you stay fully informed, should an xNode’s power or connection status change.
Synchronize your AES master clock to a designated xNode AES/EBU input to keep all of your AES streams synchronized to the house clock.
xNodes use premium components, including rugged cast aluminum faceplates and heat sinks, high-resolution OLED displays, bulletproof power supplies designed for high-availability telecom applications, studio-quality SRCs with recording-studio specs.
I/O connections via industry-standard RJ-45 audio connectors or high-density DB-25 connections, both available prefabricated and ready to attach in seconds.
Versatile mounting options: Use freestanding, rack singly or side-by-side in 1 RU, or wall-mount using an optional surface-mount kit.
A fully configurable mixing matrix allows for mixing of both physical and network inputs, stream conversion, and a multitude of other unique solutions.
Analog xNode inputs can be configured to supply four stereo audio channels, eight true mono channels, or 5.1 surround + stereo downmix. Outputs support the same variety of selections, easily selectable in software via the built-in web interface.
- SAP Support
Telos Alliance Microphone xNode In-Depth
xNodes are self-configuring, fully AES67-compliant AoIP interfaces that give you an easy way to add non-networked audio devices to your studio network. They pack a lot of I/O into a very small space. And xNodes are so simple to set up, they nearly configure themselves.
All xNodes feature a high-resolution OLED front panel display and two “soft” buttons to provide status information and assist with initial setup, and a multi-color LED that gives at-a-glance information about the xNode’s power configuration. To ensure ultra-reliable network operations and extremely low delay, xNodes run Linux on an embedded processor, and a built-in web server in each node gives you remote configuration and control—in an intuitive, easy-to-understand manner—using any standard web browser.
xNodes are loaded with features designed to ensure the uptime of your network. Dual Ethernet ports can provide redundant connections to separate network segments. Redundant power capability with automatic switchover enables xNodes to run on house mains or PoE (Power over Ethernet), letting the network switch itself supply power, and enabling easy single-cable setup in places where AC power isn’t practical. Built-in Syslog servers with a configurable event filter and SNMP (Simple Network Management Protocol) support let you stay fully informed, should an xNode’s power or connection status change.
The xNode Matrix Mixer feature is one of the most flexible and capable virtual mixers available. It lets users mix physical inputs (like mics and playback devices) with digital network sources (like stream inputs) to a single output. With the xNode Matrix Mixer feature, broadcasters can bypass the studio console during automated dayparts and send on-air mixes straight to the transmitter thus simplifying audio workflows. This one-of-a-kind solution offers the power and flexibility of a big studio mixer switching system in a compact ½ RU device!
xNodes are convenient, too. For example, an xNode in the rack room can collect audio from network feeds, codecs and other shared sources for system-wide use while providing handy outputs for audio processors and other terminal-room gear.
Superior Audio Quality
xNodes provide audio quality superior to any other AoIP interface. Not only are they capable of operating at a network sampling rate of 48kHz, they also employ high-resolution 32-bit floating-point SRC chips. xNodes produce a “sweeter,” more natural audio quality—clients routinely tell us of noticeable sonic improvements after installation.
xNodes are versatile and cost-efficient. Since they’re half the size of other AoIP interfaces, they cost less. And you can mix-and-match I/O as needed.
Easy to Deploy
When you connect an xNode to your network, it automatically prompts you to give it an ID via the front-panel controls. Then, it derives a unique static IP address, and even gives names to its sources and outputs (which you can edit later, from the comfort of your computer). All you have to do is connect devices to the inputs, and it advertises that its audio sources are available for use, allowing any users access to them.
Power-Efficient & Fanless
xNodes are also fanless, so you can tuck one anywhere you need I/O without worrying about cooling fans or heat—they consume only 14 Watts of power! Two xNodes fit side-by-side in a single rack space using the included rack-mount kit. Or, mount them to walls, ceilings, or under countertops, with an optional surface-mount kit.
Telos Alliance Microphone xNode Specifications
- Source Impedance: 150 Ohms
- Input Impedance: 4 k Ohms minimum, balanced
- Nominal Level Range: Adjustable, -75 dBu to -20 dBu
- Input Headroom: >20 dB above nominal input
- Phantom power: +48VDC, switchable
Analog Line Inputs
- Input Impedance: >40 k Ohms, balanced
- Nominal Input Range: Selectable, +4 dBu or -10dBv
- Input Headroom: 20 dB above nominal inputMeta
Analog Line Outputs
- Output Source Impedance: <50 Ohms balanced
- Output Load Impedance: 600 Ohms, minimum
- Nominal Output Level: +4 dBu
- Maximum Output Level: +24 dBu
Digital Audio Inputs And Outputs
- Reference Level: +4 dBu (-20 dB FSD)
- Impedance: 110 Ohm, balanced
- Signal Format: AES3 (AES/EBU)
- AES3 Input Compliance: 24-bit with sample rate conversion
- AES3 Output Compliance: 24-bit
- Digital Reference: Internal (network timebase) or external reference 48 kHz, +/- 2 ppm
- Internal Sampling Rate: 48 kHz
- Input Sample Rate: 32 kHz to 192 kHz
- Output Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz or 48 kHz
- A/D Conversions: 24-bit, Delta-Sigma, 256x oversampling
- D/A Conversions: 24-bit, Delta-Sigma, 256x oversampling
- Any input to any output: +/- 0.5 dB, 20 Hz to 20 kHz
- Analog Input to Analog Output, 2.75ms including network, converters, and mixing process
- Digital Input to Digital Output, 1.75ms including network mixing engine (ASRC off)
- Analog Inputs to Analog Outputs 108dB referenced to 0dBFs, 111dB A-weighted
- Analog Inputs to Digital Outputs 110dB referenced to 0dBFs, 113dB A-weighted
- Digital Inputs to Analog Outputs 112dB referenced to 0dBFs, 115dB A-weighted
- Digital Inputs to Digital Outputs 126dB
Equivalent Input Noise
- Microphone Preamp: -128 dBu, 150 Ohm source, reference -50 dBu input level
Total Harmonic Distortion + Noise
- Mic Pre Input to Analog Output: < 0.005%, 1 kHz, -36dBu input, +18dBu output
- Analog Input to Analog Output: < 0.005%, 1 kHz, +18dBu input, +18dBu output
- Analog Input to Digital Output: < 0.004%, 1 kHz, +18dBu input, -6dBFs output
- Digital Input to Analog Output: < 0.004%, 1 kHz, -6dBFs input, +18dBu output
- Digital Input to Digital Output: < 0.0003%, 1 kHz, -20dBFs
Crosstalk Isolation, Stereo Separation And CMRR
- Analog Line channel to channel isolation: 90dB minimum, 20Hz to 20kHz
- Analog Line stereo separation: 85dB minimum, 20Hz to 20kHz
- Analog Line Input CMRR: 80dB minimum, 20Hz to 20kHz
- Microphone Input CMRR: >60 dB, 20 Hz to 20 kHz
Power Supply AC Input
- Auto-ranging supply, 95VAC to 240VAC, 50 Hz to 60 Hz, IEC receptacle, internal fuse
- Power consumption: 14 Watts
- 0 degree C to +40 degree C, <90% humidity, no condensation
- 8.5” (22 cm) wide; two may be mounted side-by-side in a standard 1RU rack space; 1.72” (4.4 cm)
height, 11.75” (30 cm) depth
North America: FCC and CE tested and compliant, power supply is UL approved.
Europe: Complies with the European Union Directive 2002/95/EC on the restriction of the use of certain hazardous substances in electrical and electronic equipment (RoHS), as amended by Commission Decisions 2005/618/EC, 2005/717/ EC, 2005/747/EC (RoHS Directive), and WEEE.